This one's going to be one of the more boring journals again... probably, but I've lost another drive. This time it was the 3TB external hard drive by Seagate (which I bought for cheap enough) which I ran my Raspberry PI off. Like last HDD failure, nothing significant was lost because this drive a network drive, used mostly for torrents (don't judge, you can't say how (il)legal my stuff was). It was also supposed to be a backup thing in case of problems with my laptop but I've never set up the scripts for that so.
The first sign of trouble started the last week on Wednesday when I awoke to drive making that weird clicking noises and was generally louder than it was supposed to be. Thing was still working at that point so I powered the PI off, plugged the drive into my laptop and promptly dd'd the OS partition of that drive to a backup image. Then I plugged everything back the way it was supposed to. Raspberry PI was soon on-line (I stopped the torrent client. No I/O, no reasons to squeak louder than the fan of my HP laptop can howl (and oh that beast does howl loud with a high pitch)) and working. And because Raspberry PI is on pretty much on 24/7, I didn't notice anything is amiss until today when I wanted to access my network drive which Windows didn't want to map.
Well, that's strange. Let's SSH to the RPI and see what the problem is.
SSH clients used errors! They're super effective in preventing me from actually access the RPI. Internet (all my internet communication happened through Raspberry PI due to practical reasons) was still working, though so I didn't think much about it.
I reboot the PI.
PI used KERNEL PANIC! It's super effective! That, and it basically told me that it can't open the relevant partitions of the drive.
I then powered the PI down, connected the disk to my laptop. lsusb detected the drive, blkid failed to list any partitions from that drive, gparted didn't show the disk either. I then booted back to Windows 8 — an OS I learned to hate in the past few days (no OpenGL because AMD's driver doesn't really work, Samsung doesn't have a working driver for (older) phones (GT-S5570) as well) — and threw SeaTools at it. Needless to say, the drive failed every possible test (which I hope are filesystem-agnostic because everything on that disk was ext4 rather than your regular NTFS or FAT). I've chekced with the site I bought the drive from — it still sends this disk with 2 years of warranty. Let's hope that was always the case. If this was a regular 1 year warranty I'd be pretty much pissed because I bought this drive on 3th of february 2013, which is just a bit over a year ago. I also hope that the original packaging of the disk is still at home (I'm actually worried about this, in the past year my mom did remove some "junk" from my room and I hope that doesn't include the packaging) so I can invoke the warranty and hopefully get a new one in a relatively short time.
I think I've mentioned something about hating on Windows and Samsung above. Yes, I got a "new" phone. It's not really new, my younger brother had this one before but has since bought a new one and after my old Nokia refused to send out messages I took 'his' old phone. It's a Samsung mini (GT-S5570). While waiting for friends to go and beta TESO together, I rooted the thing and then tried to put a custom ROM on it because Froyo and Smaugsung bloatware. Instructions said: this zip goes to SD card, boot in recovery mode, wipe data and cache, apply update from SD card (yes, this zip), reboot, wait 5-10 minutes. Except nothing happened in the next 30 hours I quested around Tamriel while listening to the stuff found in Sounds directory of gw2.dat (Guild Wars 2) in order to notice anything that would be a nice ringtone or UI sound for the phone but the thing didn't boot. It became obvious that I'll have to flash back to the original ROM. Which was nearly impossible to find (Google and get links to hotfile or any other megaupload-like site that was shut down thanks to the shitheads at RIAA and MPAA), though collective googling efforts of me and my friend eventually gave desired result. And then came the hard part. Flashing the ROM back to the phone.
Of course the ROM we found was designed to be flashed onto the phone with ODIN, which needs you to put your phone into the download mode. That's easy enough, but then you get the problem of Samsung's drivers not working on Windows 8.1. Fortunately enough a friend of mine was also at the dorm (during second half of exam month the dorms are usually empty) and ran Windows 7, so I just rolled to his room and flashed my phone back to Android 2.3.6 (which isn't exactly stock but slightly better). This is probably why I'll be installing Windows 7 back to my laptop (because it's a necessity), even though Win8 is generally the faster OS. I'll be probably installing it along Windows 8 and existing Kubuntu installation, though (although the 30GB isn't that cheap on HDD space). Anyway, after that I just played the fuck out of TESO while I was still able to — at that point there was still 8 hours left on the beta.